Wednesday, June 17, 2009

31 years ago . . . and NOW!

Have you ever been to the North Pole? I HAVE . . . North Pole, Alaska, that is! Thirty-one years ago, I was here, right in this very spot. I came with a group of young people (1978 International Youth Corp) and this trip forever changed my life. During the preparation for this journey (I had never flown before, and traveled mostly in Florida and Alabama), I learned that God has a design for each of us (Jeremiah 29:11) . . . and His thoughts for me were going to take me away from the comfort of home I had always enjoyed. While here, I learned His thoughts were for my good . . . even if they were completely different from my own ideas and dreams.

Thirty-one years ago, I had no clue God was leading me to Africa, but I knew He led me to this place to show me He would be with me . . . no matter where He called me to go. It was 3 years and many prayers later before I found myself in Nigeria . . . the first stop in God's road trip of life for me. . . but it all started right here. . .one year after graduation from Troy State University, with no clue what God had in store.

How did I get back to Alaska? Yep . . . deputation! The preparation began in my mind over a year ago when we learned our schedule for travel. Alaska . . . I have always wanted to return, and God brought us here. "Us" would include my husband, and Candra (our 17 year old daughter). Melinda (our 20 year old daughter) was missing . . . in Calgary, Alberta visiting her Uncle Henry and family. On my first trip, I never imagined the great things God had in store for me, if only I would "seek Him FIRST" (Matthew 6:33).

Thirty-one years ago, our group visited Anchorage, Fairbanks, and Seward. I was blessed to return to Anchorage and Fairbanks, and also several places I had never been before. I found pastors and saints who were here . . . way back then . . . still faithful and loving God today. My greatest joy was sharing these new experiences with the family God blessed me with.
Having Candra with us was special . . . she always brings such joy. . . and reminds me how GOOD God is . . . for He gave us the heritage of children. Melinda and Candra (and Jim too) have heard stories of Alaska for many years, and here we are . . . making new memories together in the place God spoke so clearly to me thirty one years ago . . and NOW!



NOW I can praise Him for listening to His voice, obeying His call, and bringing me . . . thirty-one years later . . . back where my missionary journey began.

1 comment:

Jim and Linda Poitras said...

Welcome back to blog world!